In 2015 alone, more than 2.4 million people were injured and nearly 35,000 people died in 6.2 million crashes nationwide, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
The good news? Most car collisions aren’t deadly.
- About 9 people are killed each day as a result of distracted driving.
- You are 23 times as likely to crash if you text while driving.
- 1 out of 3 people texts while driving.
- Wearing a seat belt reduces your risk of death by 45%.
- 1 in 7 people do not wear a seat belt while driving.
- People not wearing a seat belt are 30 times more likely to be ejected from the vehicle during a crash.
What to do after a Car accident
- Safety First. Stay calm. Take a deep breath, check for injuries and call for emergency help if necessary.
- If the accident is minor, and it will not put anyone in jeopardy to do so, move the cars involved in the accident to a safe place.
- Shift car into park, turn off your vehicle and turn on the hazard lights.
- CALL THE POLICE. Even if your accident is minor, and even if the other party tries to persuade you to just “handle it among yourselves,” DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP.
- Gather information:
---Make notes about the accident,
---Names and contact information, driver’s license numbers, license plate numbers, vehicle descriptions,
---Insurance companies and policy numbers,
---Witnesses names and contact information,
---Accident scene location,
---Police officer’s name and badge number.
- Take photos of the scene, including photos of the damage to all vehicles.
- Contact your insurance company after your accident and file a claim.
- Notify your insurance agent quickly.
What NOT to do after a Car accident
- Never leave the scene of the accident.
- Never admit responsibility for the accident.
- Never sign any documents unless it’s for the police or your insurance agent.
- Never agree to allow the insurance company to record your conversation without speaking to an attorney first.
- Never discuss your accident on social media.
You never have to manage a car accident alone. We are here to help you every step of the way. During business hours, contact us as soon as possible at 201-796-1881. We are always ready and willing to assist you.
Happy Spring and safe driving.